A number of Guelph men were members of the Knights of Columbus in other cities and it was their desire to found an order of their own in Guelph. According to the Guelph Daily Mercury, Saturday, October 29, 1960, their first meetings were held in rooms in the old Coffee Block on upper Wyndham Street. Below these rooms was the old Capitol Theatre, which later became Simpson Sears and today is known as Club Denim. They then applied to Supreme Council, New Haven, Connecticut, U.S.A. and received their charter on October 10, 1910. They were then known as Guelph Knights of Columbus Council #1507.
The first home consisted of the third floor of the Royal Opera House block, known as Castle Hall, and faced Woolwich Street. They had a very large Council Chamber with two smaller rooms adjoining,. Their rent was $12.50 per month, and later they decided to sign a five year lease at $200 per year. This served as headquarters for Guelph Council #1507 for quite a number of years. Then, as membership grew, a larger home of their own was required.
They then moved into a building on Lot #93, Baker Street, which was owned by one of the founding members of Council #1507, Hugh McHugh, a tobacconist, and here they paid $300 rent per year. While there, they did alterations and put on an addition to suit their needs.
It was interesting to note that Baker Street was named for Alfred Alexander Baker, who bought Lot #93, from the Canada Company City of Guelph Survey in 1852. Upon his death as a widower in 1891, the trustees of his estate sold it to a Richard E. Nelson, who later sold it in approximately 1915 to a Kenneth MacLean. He later sold it to Hugh McHugh, who became the landlord of Council #1507. This property later became known as 74 Baker Street and stretched through to Yarmouth Street.